The Western Gateway Sub-National Transport Body (STB) is formed by an alliance of the following eight Local Authorities and one Combined Authority:
- Bath and North East Somerset Council
- BCP Council (Bournemouth, Christchurch & Poole)
- Bristol City Council
- Dorset Council
- Gloucestershire County Council
- North Somerset Council
- South Gloucestershire Council
- Wiltshire Council
- West of England Combined Authority
The Western Gateway STB will enable clean growth and increased use of sustainable transport through a long-term investment programme designed to deliver a well-connected, clean, reliable and resilient strategic transport system; one that closes productivity gaps, provides a better quality of life for people across the region and makes the Gateway area more competitive while respecting its world-class natural and built environments.
Our objectives include:
- To support the development of low carbon transport solutions to help reduce transport’s impact on the environment.
- To establish a whole corridor approach to travel management on strategic corridors to improve reliability, safety and resilience.
- To address the poor connectivity between the north and south links, particularly to and from the south coast ports and to help support planned development, drive business growth and improve access to international markets.
- To identify and address transport-related barriers to the effective operation of labour markets which is currently constraining the potential for business growth. This is particularly known in the West of England and South East Dorset areas.
- To support the development of transport infrastructure that enables sustainable place-shaping by facilitating the delivery of significant land for new homes, business growth and employment opportunities.
To help achieve our objectives, the STB will be applying for funding from the Government.
The Western Gateway STB will undertake the following activities:
- Develop and publish a Strategic Transport Plan for the Western Gateway area.
- Develop a regional transport evidence base for the Western Gateway shadow STB to identify and prioritise scheme delivery for consideration by the Department for Transport.
- Enable effective and meaningful engagement with the Department for Transport, infrastructure agencies (including Highways England and Network Rail), service providers (such as bus and rail operating companies) and Homes England.
- Provide the focal point for discussions with the Government on strategic transport and infrastructure investment decisions within the Western Gateway area.
- Agree the sequencing of priorities/schemes with Highways England and Network Rail to ensure there is a joint approach to the development and delivery of strategic infrastructure.
- Provide the opportunity to share technical expertise and resources across the Constituent Authorities to assist with the development and assessment of proposals.